The Italian Honor Society Gamma Kappa Alpha, which symbolizes "Knowledge and Virtue," aims to acknowledge exceptional academic performance in the fields of Italian language and literature and to encourage college students to develop a deeper interest in and understanding of Italian culture. Students are required to make a contribution towards the induction fee, and in return, inductees receive a certificate of membership.
New members are welcomed each spring. To apply for membership, along with the $30 application fee (cash only), please submit your application to Prof. Carmela Scala, a faculty member in the Italian Program and the Chapter Academic Advisor. The application fee secures lifelong membership.
Membership is also available by invitation.
To be eligible for membership, a student must:
- Be working toward a major or minor in Italian Studies.
- Have completed at least 5 courses with the Italian Department at Rutgers University.
- Be a junior or senior with at least a B grade in Italian.
- Rank in the top 35% of the class.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of B- in all courses taken.
An induction ceremony is conducted each spring, during which new members are presented with a certificate and an honors cord.