Ph.D., University of California - Berkeley, 2008
M.A., University of California - Berkeley, 2003
B.A., University of California - Santa Cruz, 2000
Joined Rutgers in 2012
Address: AB 5113 - 15 Seminary Place
Nineteenth and twentieth-century Italian literature, film, and visual culture; Italian (post-) colonialism and biopolitics; race thinking and nationalism in Italy; critical theory; film theory.
Symposia Organized at RU
Organizer. Two-day international symposium. Co-sponsors: African, Middle Eastern and South Asian Languages and Literatures; Art History; Cinema Studies; Comparative Literature; English; French; German, Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures; SAS Honors Program, Spanish & Portuguese, Center for African Studies, Center for European Studies; J&R Pane Fund, School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick (October 2017)
Co-organizer with Center for African Studies, Center for European Studies. One-day international symposium. School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick (October 2015)
- Global Neorealism (Senior Seminar in Cinema Studies)
- Visual Culture and Crisis (Interdisciplinary Honors Seminar)
- Modern Italian Travel Literature (Twentieth-Century Italian Literature)
- Introducing Italy City by City: Modern and Contemporary Rome
- Contemporary Italian Cinema
- Mafia Movies: Approaches to Genre in Italian and American Film
- Cinema and Literature
- (Post)colonial Italian Cinema
- Landscape and Architecture in Antonioni, Pasolini, and Rosi
- Film Theory and World Cinema
- Vital Subjects: Race and Biopolitics in Italy (1860-1920). Liverpool University Press Transnational Italian Cultures Series (2016). Honorable Mention: Modern Language Association Scaglione Prize in Italian Studies, 2016 and Special Mention: Edinburgh Gadda Prize in Modern Italian Studies, 2019.
- Crisis and the Aesthetics of Deceleration. Research in progress.
- "Time Out of Joint: Larsen's End of Dreams and Italy's 'Colonial Unconscious.'" Refugees and the Crisis of Europe. Special issue of Cultural Anthropology Hot Spots. Mayanthi Fernando, Cristiana Giordano, eds. (June 2016).
- “Here and Then, There and Now: Nation Time and Colonial Space in Pasolini, Oriani, and Marinetti.” Italica 91:4 (2015), 625-653.
- "Contact, Contagion, Immunization. Gianni Amelio's Lamerica (1994)." Italian Mobilities. Oxford; New York; Routledge Press, 2015: 68-87.
- “Razza e (ri)produttività. Per una lettura biopolitica della razza nell’Italia postunitaria e contemporanea.” Cristina Lombardi-Diop and Caterina Romeo, eds. L’Italia postcoloniale. Le Monnier Mondadori, 2014: 77-90.
- "Race and Colonial (Re)productivity." Annali d'italianistica 32 (2014). From Otium & Occupatio to Work & Labor in Italian Culture. Norma Bouchard and Valerio Ferme, eds. 197-213.
- “Intimate Truth and (Post)colonial Knowledge in Shirin Ramzanali Fazel’s Lontano da Mogadiscio.” J. Andall and D. Duncan, eds. National Belongings: Hybridity in Italian Colonial and Postcolonial Cultures. Italian Modernities, Vol 7. Bern: Peter Lang, 2010: 215-233.
Book. Roberto Esposito, Terms of the Political: Community, Immunity and Biopolitics. Bronx: Fordham University Press (2012).
Annotated essay. Gabriele D’Annunzio, “On the Cinematograph As an Instrument of Liberation and An Art of Transfiguration.” Early cinema reader edited by Richard Abel.
Article. Silvio Alovisio, “Voices of Silence. The Scenario in Italian Silent Film,” translated with Giorgio Bertellini and Silvio Alovisio. Early cinema reader edited by Richard Abel.
- Rutgers Centers for Global Advancement and International Affairs Global Urbanism Grant (2015)
- Cornell University Institute for European Studies Faculty Research Grant (2010)
- Cornell University Society for the Humanities - Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow (2008-09)
- American Council of Learned Societies/Mellon - Dissertation Completion Fellowship (2007-08)
- University of California Graduate Division Travel Research Grant (Summer 2006)
- University of California Dean’s Normative Time Award (2005-06)
- University of California (Berkeley) Institute of European Studies Merit Fellowship (2001-02; 2003)